Scripture Reading – Ephesians 1:3-14; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; 1 Peter 2:1-10
What is our identity, life purpose, and worth? We are able to understand this when we come to know that our Creator has great and eternal plans for our lives.
- The Church is a company of redeemed persons, not by mere confession or not because of our parents were Christians, but by God’s sovereign eternal plan.
- Paul says this in crystal clear in Romans 11:36, “For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things: to Whom be glory Amen.”
- God has a beautiful Master Plan for every believer, and it has to be experienced through the ministry of the Church.
Paul has expounded this truth in detail in Ephesians 1:3-14
The Origin and Purpose of the Church (Eph 1:3-14)
The Origin of the Church
- The Father God has chosen us in the eternity past (vv 3-6)
- The Son God has redeemed us in the present (vv 7-12)
- The Spirit God has sealed us for the future (vv13-14)
The Purpose of the Church
- The Father God has chosen in the past, “to the praise of the glory of His grace” (v 6)
- The Son God has redeemed us in the present, “to the praise of His glory” (v 12)
- The Spirit God has sealed us for the future, “unto the praise of His glory” (v 14)
The Church is for the glory of God, and every member of the Church would experience the glory of God.
- The end of the work of Christ in His Church is, “that He might present it to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish” ( 5:27).
- “As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, that ye would walk worthy of God, Who hath called you unto His kingdom and glory” (1 2:11-12).
- “But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you” (1 Peter 5:10).
Example of the Early Church (Acts 2:42-47)
As a community of believers, Christians should experience the church life.
- Acts 2:42-47
“And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”
- 1 Peter 2:21, “Hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us… ye should follow in His steps”
- 2 Peter 1:3, “called us to glory and virtue”
- 4:1, “Walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called”