Scripture Reading – Revelation 2:1-7
Greetings in the name of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.
Today we are meditating on the book of revelation, chapter 2:1-7, Which deals about the spiritual condition of Ephesus church
- The divine Author of the Revelation book is the Jesus Christ himself, But the lord used John a apostle of Jesus Christ to write this book.
Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servant’s things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John.
- Revelation 1:9 (Where was John when he received the revelation)
I the John, who also am your brother and companion in tribulation and the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. Revelation 1:10
- I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice as of a trumpet.
- What happened when John was at Patmos? He was filled with spirit in the Lords day (probably John did not forget the sabbath day even in his suffering’s) Revelation 1:11
- When John was in Spirit on the Lord’s day, he heard a loud voice saying, write in the book what you see, and send it to seven Churches which are in Asia to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and Laodicea
According to Revelation 1: 11 on the Greek island of Patmos, Jesus Christ instructs to john to write on a scroll and send it seven churches. the lord Jesus Christ clearly identified 7 Churches spiritual conditions. The lord knows everybody’s spiritual conditions
Among these seven churches we are meditating on the first church Ephesus.
- Ephesus was city on the western coast in Asia minor.
- The city is famous for its temple Diana (Acts 19:27-35) and the Ephesus was centre for tourism & trade.
- Acts chapter 19 & 20 gives background on this church.
- And apostle Paul preached the gospel 3 years at Ephesus
- What does seven stars represent? Chapter 2. verse 1
- The 7 stars are the Angel of seven churches, (Angel means: messenger, one who bring the message from the lord to the people)
- so, the seven stars represent the Pastors of the 7 Church
- A pastor is the Gods messenger, to the church in that he is the responsible & faithful preacher of God’s word to believers.
- John’s vision show that each pastor is being held in the Lords hand. And we learn from gospel of John 10:28, no one can snatch them out of Jesus hand.
- The fact that stars (Pastors) are in Jesus right hand, it indicates that they are important and under his authority. The right hand is the sign of strength
- What does 7 lampstands represent?
- The seven-lamp stand represents seven churches, which were the actual churches that existed at the time of John experienced the vision.
- The Golden lamp stand symbolize that church preciousness of Gods valued possession (John 3:16)
- The golden lampstands may also be symbolic of purity and holiness. The church is called to be example of Gods holiness to the world. 1Peter 1:15-16
- Lamp stands are designed to bring light in the dark places.
- The Gods purpose for the church is to hold forth the light. Jesus said you are the light of the world.
- In the vision of John, Jesus Christ stands in the centre of the seven lampstands. which Mean, Jesus is standing in the midst of his people.
- Lamp stand itself is not the light, but Jesus Christ is the light. John 8:12
III. Christ’s Appreciation to the Ephesus church
Chapter 2 verse 2-3 & 6
Why does Jesus is praising Ephesus church?
Jesus is praising or appreciating the Ephesus church, because of Ephesus church’s good deeds, testimony and patience for the lord. The lord is always very happy when we walk according to his directions Verse 2
- I know thy works:
The good works, both of ministers and churches
- Thy labour:
- Particularly the labour of ministers of the gospel in this time, the frequent preaching of it, in season and out of season.
- Administration of the ordinances.
- Diligent exercise of the church discipline.
- Thy patience:
- Their patience is in suffering for the sake of the gospel
- Their patience is in bearing one another in the body of Christ.
- Their moral and doctrinal purity
- Hated the evil one and deeds of the Nicolaitans
Chapter 2 verse 4 -5 (if Jesus appeared today, what he wants to see in our church?) IV. Christ’s warning to the Ephesus church
God diagnosed the inner part of the Ephesus church and making complaint
- people Lost their love for Christ, and also probably lost their love for one another.
Bible says love for Christ and love for one another is related, it is first and second command mark 12:30-31.
“And you shall love the Lord your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This the first commandment. And second like it, is this you shall love your neighbour as yourself.”
- 1 Corinthian 13:1 though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels but have not love, I have become sounding brass or clanging cymbal.
Ephesus church is doing all good work, but there is no love for Christ, many times we also act like the people of Ephesus church. We do many things but lost love for Christ.
What is the Jesus commanding to this Church?
- Repent and do the first work, if not I will come quickly and remove lamp stand
(if the church is not repenting and not doing the first work for the lord he will come and remove the lamp stand.)
Most of the churches are like the church in Ephesus, most of us are like the believers in Ephesus church, we do many things but we lost the love for Christ, we need to come back to Christ and repent, and he will forgive us. 1 John 1:9
- 1. Remember the first love 2. Repent: come to Jesus ask forgiveness 3. Repeat the deeds you did first. Chapter 2 verse 7
- Christ Promise to the Ephesus Church
The Christian life is a warfare against sin, Satan, the world and flesh, we should not lose our battle in Christian journey, but fight the good fight till we gain the victory or over come from the sin
How can we over come? Or how can we fight against the sin?
Can we over come with our own strength? Jesus promised his disciples that he would send them holy spirit, the helper who would guide them to the truth. John 14:16-17
Here is the promise to victors: To him who overcomes I will give to the eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
how can we know our spiritual conditions? Where did we lost our first love for the Christ? What is the Christ warning us? And what is the Promise of the Lord Jesus Christ?
May the spirit of the lord open our eyes to know our spiritual conditions and overcome from the bondage of sin and enjoy the love of Christ forever with him in heaven.