At Covenant, we are propelled by the six-fold gospel mission of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ:
- Understand the gospel clearly: The message of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is what Paul has mentioned in Romans 1:1-4, “Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead”, which Paul explains later in Romans 1:17, “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
- Experience its power effectively: This is being influenced by the message of the gospel. Paul says in Romans 1:16 that the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation. It converts sinners into saints, liberating them from the power of darkness, the devil’s empowerment, by giving them a new life in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Live a life, exemplary to the gospel: This is the application of the message, which would result in a transformed life, a life of worship and holiness. The Apostle Paul explains this in Rom 12:1-2, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
- Heralders of the gospel: This is sharing the message of the gospel as the Lord called His disciples to do through His great commission mentioned in Matthew 28:18-20, “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
- Safeguarding the gospel: This is defending the message of the gospel from all the false teachings as Paul has reminded the church in Galatia in Galatians 1:8-9, “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.”
- Pass on the gospel: This is preserving the gospel message from one generation to another as Paul has reminded Timothy to do so in 2 Timothy 2:1-2, “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
May the Lord help us that we would be a faithful church of the Lord Jesus Christ fulfilling this great gospel plan of the Lord God Almighty!